BSA and exceptional (personal) circumstances

What can you do if exceptional (personal) circumstances are hindering your academic progress? Sometimes your academic progress may be hindered by exceptional (personal) circumstances. The Board of Examiners is obliged to take this into consideration when issuing (binding) study advice. However you first need to take care of some important matters. On this page you can find information about how to avoid negative binding study advice if your academic progress is being hindered by exceptional (personal) circumstances.

What is meant by exceptional (personal) circumstances?

The following types of personal circumstances are recognised and must be taken into account by the Board of Examiners when issuing binding study advice:

  • Illness/handicap/learning disorders

  • Exceptional family circumstances

  • Pregnancy

  • Membership of university/student boards

Are you having problems of another nature? Read more about how to deal with study problems.

How can I make sure that the Board of Examiners takes my circumstances into consideration?

It is very important that you do the following before 15 July:

  1. Inform your study advisor about your circumstances;

  2. Draw up an adapted study plan in collaboration with your study advisor;

  3. Submit official documentation - on the basis of which the seriousness and duration of your circumstances can be determined.

Explanation of adapted study plan

In collaboration with your study advisor you should draw up a study plan containing agreements that are adapted to your circumstances. The Board of Examiners will use this new study plan as a basis when issuing positive or negative binding study advice on the continuation of your studies.

Note: You must adhere to the agreements in your adapted study plan in order to be issued with positive BSA.

It is essential that you contact your Study Advisor if your circumstances change and threaten to further hinder your academic progress. In this case you must draw up another adapted study plan to avoid the risk of being issued with negative study advice and refused permission to continue studying.

How to submit your documentation

You must submit a personal statement accompanied by a statement from a professional, for example a doctor or psychologist. These documents must clearly state the period in which your academic progress was hindered and the severity of your exceptional (personal) circumstances.

Your documentation must be submitted as early as possible, and at least before 15 July, to Leiden University, Student and Educational Affairs/BSA, Postbus 9500, 2300 RA Leiden. Upon receipt the Board of Examiners will be notified of your case.

You can find more information on the procedures for exceptional (personal) circumstances in Explanation Section B of the Regulations on Binding Study Advice.

Last Modified: 30-05-2017